At St Augustine’s, we believe that every child is entitled to a high quality curriculum which places their physical, social, cognitive and emotional needs at the core of its purpose. All children are taught PE weekly, either by qualified sports coaches, our sports development officer or class teachers. We aim to work with key providers of physical education to inspire all pupils to succeed and excel in sport and physical education. We offer a varied range of activities to suit all abilities and have many opportunities available for children to compete in sports and other activities.
At St Augustine’s we ensure that our PE lessons are fully aligned to the National Curriculum and Ofsted requirements and focus on the development of agility, balance and coordination, healthy competition and cooperative learning. Each unit of work has a different focus to develop the key abilities necessary for success in PE and sport. Teachers and Sports staff have high expectations of pupils and offer appropriate levels of support and challenge to ensure that every pupil is able to succeed and that every pupil is stretched in each PE session. Ongoing assessment is used in lessons to ensure consistency across the key stage and that pupils are aware of their own progress, strengths and challenges.
Every child will:
• enjoy PE lessons and physical activity
• be able to achieve and succeed
• have the opportunity to take part in competitive sport
• be able to collaborate and communicate with others
• understand and be able to articulate how they have made progress in individual PE lessons and over time understand how to evaluate and recognise their own success
• be able to explain the importance of leading a healthy and active life
We will be using the ‘PE Passport’ scheme which contains Physical Education planning, assessment and tracking tool designed to enable teachers to deliver enjoyable, active and high quality sessions through the PE Scheme of work. Within the PE APP schools have access to the Early Years Scheme of Work 2020 and the updated 2020 Key Stage 1 & 2 schemes of work.
Each lesson contains clear, progressive learning objectives; differentiated activities and other resources including videos to support the delivery of PE. Teachers can quickly assess and monitor the progress of each individual easily within the curriculum whilst coordinators can track children’s progress.
• Measuring Impact – the APP will allow all staff to store videos and photographs to evidence the impact of teaching and learning. The perfect tool for monitoring and an invaluable tool for moderation and CPD.
• Tracking – Simple assessment of the child’s assessment against the core tasks including skill development, application of skills and character development. The APP will build a profile of the individual’s attainment and progress as well as progress across year groups and the whole school.
• Videos and diagrams – Short, simple video clips and diagrams supporting lesson delivery with primary age children performing have been added to the APP and these will continue to be developed and added for specific skills and examples of core tasks.
Please click below to view the PE LTP: